Black Point

Thirty knot winds and torrents of rain keep us at Warderick Wells a few extra days. Not a problem. We explore the island by tender running down to Hog Cay and the south mooring field and back to the north end of of the island as well. After the front passes it is finally time to depart this magical place; a weather window has opened and we have several days of benign winds and seas to continue our journey south. First stop is Big Majors Spot near Staniel Cay. Known for its beauty and, not incidently, its wild pigs that swim out to your anchored boat looking for a handout. Actually, I doubt any of them swim far these days. When we arrived there were a dozen megayachts anchored around Sandy Cay and in Big Majors Spot providing plenty of food to the hungry beasts. They didn’t have to leave the beach. Many of them seemed rather portly in a pig sort of way.

Not caring to swim with the smelly creatures we decided to keep our stay short. Besides, our friends on Sea Dweller are now anchored at Black Point a scant 6 miles away. We met Jeff and Ellen on Sea Dweller in Annapolis and have run into them at several stops down the east coast. We make preparations to depart. This included prepping the tender for towing; since we are only going a few miles away there is no point to hoisting it back onto the boat deck. I had left our Steelhead davit partially deployed so I take its wireless remote topsides and begin the process of stowing it only to find that the remote needs to be recharged. Always something. We shut down the engine and wait while the little device takes on some juice. This highlights the need for a spare remote and wireless receiver. Having this controller fail could be a nightmare. Imagine lifting the tender 10 feet out of the water in the typical winds only to have the remote die? What if it fails totally? Towing the tender a couple hundred miles back to the States isn’t appealing. I’ll have to investigate how one would lower a tender manually with this device and determine if carrying a spare remote and receiver is wise.

After 90 minutes the remote is fully charged and we stow the davit and get underway. A scant hour or so later we are dropping the anchor in Black Point harbor near Sea Dweller. The harbor is large and accomodates many vessels; at least a dozen are anchored as we arrive and more arrive during the course of the afternoon.

Deanna and I tender ashore and dock at the government dock, the only dock available. This is typical, a very high commercial dock meant for deliveries from small commercial freighters but not well suited to small tenders. We toss out a stern anchor to keep the tender from drifting under the dock and tie the bow to a piling. To be honest, it takes us a couple of tries to get tied up safely. We climb about 5 steps up a vertical ladder and we are on the dock. It is covered with building materials and other supplies that have yet to find their way to their final destination. We take a short walk around the small community. Roosters crow from backyards; ladies sit in the shade of trees weaving baskets. Most of the men on the island actually take small boats over to Staniel Cay and back every day to work at the marina, restaurants, or stores there. Very quiet here. We stop at a grocery and pick up a few supplies; shelves are sparsely populated. No doubt a better selection awaits the weekly supply ship. We head back to the tender and spot two sharks swimming slowly past. It occurs to us that we have seen sharks at almost every stop in the Bahamas. We saw a shark on the DC3 wreck at Great Harbour Cay, We saw a huge shark snorkeling at Emerald Rock. We saw a shark swim under Tivoli at Big Majors Spot. And now two sharks at Black Point. I think they are stalking us. I wonder at the wisdom of neighboring boaters swimming at dusk, prime feeding time.

Friends on Sea Dweller and Changing Course tender over for docktails at 6. We enjoy a pleasant evening discussing our past travels and future plans. Tomorrow we plan to continue south to Georgetown. Weather is supposed to get nasty Monday and Tuesday so we want to get to Georgetown before Monday.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *